Monday, August 20, 2007

My Ebenezer

Without a computer, I know my posts have become fewer and farther in between, but I wanted to share something new I learned today. Perhaps this is something everyone else has known while I have been in the dark??

One of my favorite hymns is "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing". I love the words of the song:

Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
Hither by thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He to rescue me from danger,
Interposed his precious blood.

I love singing to Adler before he goes to bed at night. Sometimes I sing old Young Life songs, sometimes songs from the Sound of Music (not sure if Stephen would approve), songs I memorized as a kid watching Disney movies over and over, sometimes church songs...tonight, this song came to mind.

As I was singing this song over him as he laid his heavy head on my shoulder...I couldn't help to wonder.....what or who the heck is Ebenezer?? I decided to do a little research, and here is what I found:

The word "Ebenezer" comes from Hebrew and means "stone of help". The scripture I found correlating is:

"Samuel took a large stone and placed it between the towns of Mizpah and Jeshanah. He named it Ebenezer—"the stone of help"—for he said, "Up to this point the Lord has helped us!" —1 Samuel 7:12, NLT

At this time in the Old Testament, Israel and the Philistines were at war. At word of the Philistine's advancements, the Israelites were frightened and turned to Samuel and asked him to cry out to God on their behalf to save them from the Philistines. "But that day the Lord thundered with loud thunder against the Philistines and threw them into such a panic that they were routed before the Israelites." This gave the Israelites the opportunity to victoriously attack as the Philistines were disorganized. To commemorate their victory, Samuel set up a large stone to mark where God's help aided in their battle with the Philistines.

So, this got me thinking. What are some of the current day Ebenezers in my life? What are things that serve as reminders of God's love, mercy, assistance, that He hears my cry?

The first thing that comes to mind is Adler. Looking at Adler is like getting a glimpse at the face of Christ. Adler is no doubt a miracle of God's work. Getting to stay at home with Adler and not having to put him into daycare is also an answered prayer. I realized I am living my Ebenezer every day!

So now I'm curious, what's your Ebenezer? Even if you don't have a blogger account you can comment below...I would love to know what God is up to your life!

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above!

1 comment:

Stephen Hunton said...

Boo...you're awesome. I love this post.